Thursday, September 15, 2011

ADD

We home school, not as a result of hating the public school system, but because I didn't like the way his education was progressing. His teacher told me that the only reason he was receiving good grades was a result of her telling him repeatedly to pay attention. She also had filled out the questionnaire that is given to them to give to the doctor to enable the little guy to be put on medication. He is very bright and inquisitive. Curious all the time about the how, why, where when and if.

He is very much a dreamer. But he is also a practical little thing. Give him a bit of time and he will figure out how to do some of the most complicated chores. He was helping his Paw Paw with scrap at his place. Paw Paw would put the outer cover from stripping wire into a feed bag, John took it to put in the trash area. On his way my father-in-law wondered if he would be able to get them in the receptacle as they are pretty heavy. He worked and worked it out until he was able to lever them into the area.  I have seen him take something that I wanted to go in and help him with walk around the item and figure out the best way to do whatever it is he was working to achieve. His brother on the other hand probably would have left it sitting beside the can, came back and said it was too heavy.

I have been reading on quite a bit of ADD/ADHD medicated vs non medicated as my oldest was diagnosed with ADHD. We had him on medication when about my youngest son's age. He was awesome for the teachers, they just thought he was wonderful for them. He was able to sit still for longer periods, but I wonder, if the lord made soooo many little boys like mine have ants in their pants, why then would we be expected to medicate it out of them?

My oldest can sit and play on the computer, talk to me, plus keep up with varied texts he is receiving all at the same time.. And I ramble a lot. But he does listen and keep up with all the techno "stuff".. I wonder how he could sit still and just listen to someone talk.. I can't do it for long periods of time. I am not sure how I made it through high school. I remember in elementary school, unable to keep my mouth shut. For some reason at that given moment I HAD to say something.. I am still that way. Went to lunch with a friend the other day. She told me that she could go all day without talking to anyone plus no one talking to her. I replied I could never ever do that.. I would go NUTS.. She has worked with me, so she knows.. I usually talked about work, I analyzed stuff that no one ever thought about. Things that they never thought they needed to think about. Not sure if that was positive or not, probably not..


No comments:

Post a Comment